Monday, November 3, 2014

CCC Festival - Highlands Hammock State Park

I will be at Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring FL for it's annual CCC Festival November 8th, 2014 from 10a-4p 

There will be live entertainment, food, living history presentations, arts and crafts, educational exhibits, tram tours, hay rides and much more.

Come on out and have a great time!  The weather is looking particularly nice for this event!

Last year was a great success and I am so pleased to have been asked to come back this year!  I have friend coming along for the first time to this event to sell her homemade quilts, jellies and jewelry and even some crocheted items!
 
Park admission fees are just $6.00 per vehicle (up to eight people per carload)

The Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) was arguably the most popular part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "New Deal".  During the Great Depression moral was at an all time low in our country and many Americans were without food or proper  shelter.  The CCC gave young unmarried men the opportunity to learn a skill and earn some money ($30 a month, $25 had to be sent home). 
The CCC planted nearly 3 billion trees in an effort to reforest America,  helped create more than 800 parks nationwide, improved forest fire fighting methods, built roads and helped upgrade our state parks.
Without the CCC it is likely America would have spiraled deeper into the Great Depression, many families would have lost hope, and we may not have our beautiful parks today.
 I am happy to say I was informed that some former members of the CCC are expected to be at the event and I can't wait to shake their hands and thank them for preserving a bit of nature for future generations.

Come out and enjoy the park!  This also happens to be one of my favorite state parks in Florida...I get some great pics when I visit this park!  I always feel as if I have stepped back in time to a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth...silly perhaps but that is the feel of the swamp! Panoramio- my photos

Murky Waters of the swamp (one of my pics on Google Earth- nondaywalker)

Red Shouldered Hawk
(this fella sat on that branch for about 10 minutes...I inched closer to be within feet of him!)

I hope to see  you there!  BTW- I will have all my inventory with me that day some come on out and see what I've been up to!

~Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment