Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Another passion

Gardening.  Yes, getting out into the garden and getting my hands dirty is gross.  But the therapeutic benefits are unsurpassable!

When I go outside into the garden I want to feel like it is an extension of my home.  I love the feeling I get when I am greeted  by a beautiful flower as I pull the yucky weeds. All the hard work of maintaining and caring for the plants is repaid by the simple action of the plants thriving.  I think of gardening as vital to my life now. 
A few years ago if you told me I would have flowers in my yard that are not from a weed I would have laughed at you!  My husband planted a few borders bed around our home as a surprise for Valentine's Day 2013 and said, "You always say you don't want cut flowers from a store so I planted you a garden."  (*collective "ahhh" from the ladies)  He is really the best husband I could ever ask for.
Caring for the small border beds sparked a passion as I realized that I did not have the "thumb of death" but a greenthumb! That passion sparked a Facebook page for just my garden...yes almost an addiction.  Here are a few of the beautiful things I have seen over the last couple days, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Hidden Ginger, Hidden Lily
Curcuma petiolata
(from a friend)
 
Tall Morning Glory
Ipomoea purpurea 'Grandpa Ott's'
 
Chicory, Italian Dandelion
Cichorium intybus
 
Chicory, Italian Dandelion
Cichorium intybus
 
Long Stem Red Rose
 
Blue Sky Vine "litter"

Bengal Clock Vine, Blue Sky Vine
Thunbergia grandiflora
(from two friends!)
 
Bamboo (from a friend)
 
Hard-shelled Gourd, Calabash
Lagenaria siceraria 'Birdhouse'
 
Shampoo Ginger, Pinecone Ginger, Pinecone Lily, Pine Cone Ginger, Pine Cone Lily
Zingiber zerumbet
 
 
Kalanchoe
 
 
I hope you enjoyed a glimpse of my garden!
 
~Anna
 






 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment