Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Cotton Moccasin Shoes with Flip Flop Soles (children's 11/12 flip flop)

I get creative slumps where I can't decide what to make and I look all over for inspiration. I was tooling through Pinterest and saw some cute moccasin slippers, but Florida is kinda warm for slippers... so I thought about thick felt bottom slippers, kinda durable but again really too warm for slippers.

Flip Flops are $0.98 at Wal-Mart and that's what most people in Florida wear...cotton breathes...Jute is durable.... *lightbulb flickers on

Adult size : Adult Crochet Moccasin Shoes

Cotton Moccasins
 *My granddaughter will be getting these soon!

Materials

*I hook
*Cotton Yarn- I used Peaches & Cream (medium weight size 4)
*Cheap Flip Flops- I got flip flops for $0.98 a pair at Wal-Mart (these are one size larger than my granddaughter wears-smallest they had- I bought a pair one size larger for the adult pair I'm making as well-I don't want tight shoes) 
*Puffy Paint - I use this to fill hole on sole
*Sharp scissors (to cut flip flops & jute)
*optional- drill with a small bit to put holes in sole (this can be accomplished with a needle as well, but I felt it was a little less labor intensive to pre-drill holes)
*large eye needle to sew jute to sole
*Twisted Jute Twine (see pic!)
*something to measure with & a Sharpie- to mark holes 
This is the Jute Twine I used














Abbreviations:

ch: chain

sl st: slip stitch

sc: single crochet

mirror sc: a style of crochet that gives row work the appearance of rounds Mirror sc video (you can use regular sc if you prefer or you can learn this great stitch!)

sc2tog: single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease)

BLO: crochet in back loop only

Rsc: reverse single crochet reverse sc video

Third Loop: you will sew the toe in place through these loops third loop

Hdc: half double crochet

Hdc2tog: half double crochet 2 stitches together (decrease)

Dc:  double crochet

Note: 

Unless noted otherwise: ch at end of each row and join rounds with a sl st.  If pattern reads "sc, sc2tog, 2sc" it would be read as, " single crochet, single crochet 2 stitches together, 2 single crochet in the next stitch", directions are to be repeated to end of row/round unless otherwise noted.  
This is an original design by me, Anna Wilson, and I share it freely with all you crafty crocheters!  You may do whatever you like with your finished Moccasins: sell them at farmer's markets, wear them, gift them, fly to the moon with them or take over the world with them!! But I ask that you not reproduce/sell this pattern.  

Directions:

Prepare the Flip Flops:

Cut the toe from the flip flop and...


...cut the back straps at an angle and turn outwards.
*Leave the back straps in place*

Mark around bottom of sole in 1/2" increments
*I had 35 dots on each sole*


Optional- drill through marked holes
*you can use a needle if you're tough ;)


Similar to a "chain stitch"
1: using jute- insert needle through hole from inner sole to outer and return through next hole
2: loop around end of jute and return needle through hole you just came through, do NOT pull too tight
3: bottom of shoe view- this stitch will create a "solid" line of sts
4: push needle from outer sole to inner sole through next hole
5: insert needle through previous loop
6: return needle through hole it just came through
7: push needle from outer sole and through previous loop
*continue around, join with a knot (will be hidden under work)


Left- inner sole;  right- outer sole

Begin crochet: 

Toe: make 2

ch 9 (with color of your choice, I used a variegated yarn)

1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and across (8) *ch1 turn at end of each of row unless otherwise noted

2: mirror sc  

3: sc (8)

4: mirror sc (8)

5: 2sc. sc6. 2sc (10)

6: mirror sc (10)

7: sc (10)

8: mirror sc (10)

9: sc (10)

10: mirror sc (10)

11: sc (10)

12: mirror sc (10)

13: sc, change color in last st (if you want too) (I leave a long tail of variegated for sewing to shoe)

14: mirror sc (10)

15: BLO- sc (10)

16: rsc across, f.o. weave in end.

Side upper:


with cotton color of your choice (I join yarn near inner foot, back strap hole)

1: 2dc through each of the top two loops on the sole around, join with a sl st (70) 

2: ch1, sc around, join with a sl st (70)

3: ch1, sc around to center back heel- sc2tog, continue sc to row end; join with a sl st (69)

4: ch1, sc around to center back heel- sc2tog, continue to sc to row end- (68) drop this part of work, careful not to unravel

attach toe:

mark off 36 stitches evenly for front of shoe place markers, pin toe in place: color change row to markers ***sew toe in place before continuing pattern  Attach toe by stitching through 3rd loop of shoe round 4 and toe edge

Sew through third loop- marker to marker
continue shoe:

pick up yarn loop from round 4

5: sc around to heel, find center 10 stitches of heel and begin with hdc2, hdc2tog x3, hdc2, sc to end of row. (65) f.o. weave in ends.

Finishing:

Cut some small pieces of yarn (approx 4 inches) and loop through skipped front loops of toe row 15 for fringe.

I used puffy paint to fill the holes left from the toe strap.  You could probably use caulk, but I had puffy paint ;)


Bottom of moccasins, puffy paint in toe hole

Purple fringe!


I'm starting a pair of larger shoes (as seen in the pics that feature chartreuse flip flops- I hope it works out!

Have fun and happy hooking!

Anna

Update:

Anna got her moccasins and she loves them!!!  She is fighting a virus making it's rounds through  our town :( She is chillin' here with some Scooby Doo now :)


My sweet Noo Noo, best  model ever, always beautiful!

You really made these for me? Thank you Ya Ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment